Re: Spitfire Rear end noise

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Rear end noise
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:59:21 -0700
Rick writes:
>I have a 1980 Spitfire with 80k miles.  I have only had the car for 3
>months, and have just gotten it on the road after much work.  My question
>is:  The noise from the rear end under moderate  lode from 50mph and up is
>the predominate noise heard in the car.  I do not know what is normal.
>Under decell / engine braking it is quiet.

Rick,
hate to say it but you should have no noise other than tire, comming from
the rear end.
You don't say what kind of noise (whine, clunk, growl), but from what you
say so far I'd bet on worn ring gear.  That's if its a loud whine that
increases in pitch to match speed usually peaking at a paticular rpm/speed
combination.  Could possible be bearings but again you didn't specify
exactly what kind of noise -

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )