Re: TR4 seats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 seats
From: triumph_tr4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:11:55 -0800
Cc: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us
Posted-date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:06:16 -0700 (PDT)
>In a message dated 97-09-02 07:48:56 EDT, amace@unix2.nysed.gov (Andrew Mace)
>writes:

<<<<snip another response>>>>

>(from my previous posting) --
>
>"To date what I have been able to determine is:
>
>A)  ACCORDING TO PIGGOTT -- Three types of FRAMES existed:
>
>Type 1) for TR2,TR3 - one piece, rounded corners on back and seat.  No tilt
>capability.
>
>Type 2) for later TR3A/B (after TS8637) and early TR4 - two piece (a bottom
>and a  back), rounded corners with folding (tilting) back on passenger's side
>for the TR3's and tilting back on driver's side for the TR4's.

OK I posted a rather lengthy response to this post earlier, but it never hit
the list that I saw, so I will do it again.

>Type 3) at TR4 CT15076 - change to one piece, squarer, whole seat tilts
>forward on driver's side.  Then from around CT 20925 both seats tilt forward.

<<<snip>>>

>Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (built 14May64 - delivered to me 11Jun64 at
>Coventry)
>VTR TR4 vehicle consultant

Here is the rub.  How sure are we (make that you all, I'm not sure of much,
at least that's what my wife says) that the early TR-4 seats are configured
as above?  i.e.  That the DRIVERS seat back pivots forward.

On my early 1962 car (CT5368LO LHD) the PASSENGER seat back pivots forward.
The Cushions and Covers seem correct BUT they are light blue, not the
original color (Midnight Blue).  I have seen several cars (3-4?) set up
like this.  Unfortunately my later 1962 (CT13108L) dosn't have the original
seats, so that one is no help.

Is it possible that there has been a transcribing of meanings about this?
Not you Art, but maybe the records or Piggott?  Could the original meaning
of PASSENGER and DRIVER sides have been applied when the manufacturer (the
all knowing, wise and consistant Triumph) was oriented towards RHD cars?
Most of the information I have read seemed to go that way for the TR-3's,
but seemed to be oriented towards LHD for the TR-4's.  If the above was
true, and the seats were not changed when the car was configured as LHD,
then the picture may be muddied.  I have always wondered why the drivers
seat on my car had to be slid forward to drop the roof, requiring the
driver to re-adjust his seat.  It would have been less inconvenient just to
flip the back forward.

A possible way to address this is the orientation of the seat rail slide
release (what is that thing called?).  i.e.  Is it "Inboard" (closest to
the Tunnel Cover) or "Outboard" (closest to the door).

My original "Triumph TR-4 Owners Handbook" has a picture that shows the
seat adjust levers Outboard.  This picture can be found on page 9, Fig 7.
It seems to indicate that my car is correctly configured.  Also on the same
page it states "The passenger's seat backrest hinges forward to provide
access to the rear compartment.".  ALL of the pictures and information in
this Handbook seems aimed at the "Overseas" or LHD market.  This information
would also indicate that my car is configured properly.

So Long,

p.s.  To those of you who have requested the TR-4 list in the last month or
so, it will be out to you shortly, I've been away on travel and things have
kind of backed up.

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 1.4 availible.