Re: accelerator bushings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: accelerator bushings
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:52:18 -0400
Pete Chadwell wrote :

 >>The result is that the shaft has no play in it (the old bushings were
 >>definitely worn, especially the the one on the carb side of the engine).
 >>I still get some binding of the gas pedal though...

 >Peter:
 >
 >What kind of shape are the ball joints in the linkage between the carbs?
 >They may be binding a bit, although normally I would expect them just to
 >get real loose and sloppy.  I threw out those ball joints quite a long time
 >ago and replaced each one with a spherical rod end from Bearings, Inc.
 >These rod ends are not too expensive, as I remember, but I don't know how
 >expensive the OEM ones are, either.  Also, I made a bronze bushing to go on
 >the pivot of the throttle linkage bellcrank, as I was losing a lot of
  ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
 >motion there.

Yes, that's the spot where nearly all of the slop in the linkage of my old
TR-250 was.  Listers, watch that spot while someone else pushes your ac-
celerator pedal, you may see the bellcrank lean over sideways before any
motion goes to the carb linkage.

 >Incidentally, it sure would have been nice to have access to a forum like
 >this  list back in '89 when I was replacing those accelerator shaft
 >bushings!  I can't remember how I solved the problem exactly, but I think
                                    ^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^
 >it involved LIMITED cutting of the bushings or something.  Anyway, they're
 >still there.  I'd have done it differently for sure if I'd had a resource
 >like this list!!  Thanks to all!!
 >
 >Pete Chadwell
 >1973 TR6
 >CF10732

..and regarding the tight-fitting bushing problem, here is what I would
have tried myself, except that I sold the car before I got around to that
job :   after the cross-shaft is out and the rust cleaned off, I would
have tried to use a tapered hand reamer to slightly enlarge the holes in
the bulkhead that the bushings press into.  I guessed that it wouldn't
take much, and they would pop right in.  Just a thought, YMMV, etc..

Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
TR-250  (owned 1988-1996)