RE: Real Live TR6 Fuel Pump Question

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Real Live TR6 Fuel Pump Question
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:50:09 -0600
This thread is of interest to me. I recently rebuilt my carbs with the
std type jets (not grose jets) included in the Moss (USA) kits. I did
the rebuild because my carbs were leaking after a lengthy period of
inactivity. However, they still leak, especially the rear one. Although
I suspect it is the o-rings in the float bowls, it seems from this
thread that perhaps the leak is caused by something else.

I would like to get people's opinions on what might be some other likely
causes of my leaks. As background, here is what is happening.

The carbs seem to leak when the car is standing still. But only
sometimes. It definitely was happening when I had the rear jacked up
somewhat to adjust my timing last weekend. When the car is flat the leak
is not as severe. Also my tank was pretty close to full (maybe 3/4). I
thought I set the float heights correctly, is it possible that a bad
float height is causing this? Or are the o-rings the most likely culprit
(why then the sporadic leaking?)? If is the float height, are there some
foolproof ways to prove it is them before I pull the carbs? I assume if
it is the float height then I have set the height less than the
specified 16-17mm as opposed to more than the 16-17mm, correct? (Height
is kind of a misnomer here since the setting is done with the carb body
upside down and the "height" just turns into a "hang" or "sag", right?).
So if my float is allowed to sag less than  16-17mm, the needle valve
will be open longer as the fuel fills the float chamber and some of it
may leak from the seal between the bowl and carb body. Is this correct?
Is there any danger in setting the float height less than spec?
Decreased performance perhaps, or engine fuel starvation?

Also recently someone posted that late model MGs had ZS carbs with float
bowls that had no plugs in them. I looked in the Moss catalog for MGBs
and saw nothing which would indicate this. Only one float bowl is listed
for all carbs. Any insights on this one from those who have octagon
experience?