Re: Massachusetts TR4 with no title

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: Massachusetts TR4 with no title
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:18:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Kelly wrote:

> I've been negotiating to buy a '65 TR4 from a guy in
> Massachusetts. He's had it since before the title law
> went into effect in late '89? '90? At any rate, there's
> no title, because there was no such thing when he
> bought the car.

> Has anybody on the list recently purchased a legally
> owned pre-title-law car from Massachusetts?  How does
> one prove ownership of such a car to New Jersey Motor
> Vehicles? If you can't answer that one, how about to
> Mass Motor Vehicles?

> I've posed this question by email to NJMV, but I'm not
> confident in receiving a reply before my trip to Boston
> this weekend.

Bill,

  I have bought two TR6s without a title, as they predated
the title law.   They are now registered in New Hampshire.
One was bought in New Hampshire, and one was bought in
Rhode Island, from an owner who was a resident of Virginia
(car still had Virginia plates).  With both vehicles, I
used a very official-looking bill of sale, properly filled
out, and used this as the proof of purchase.

  In neither case did New Hampshire Motor Vehicles give
me any grief.  Indeed, since the cars predate the title
law, in New Hampshire they still have no title!  ("Live
Free or Die!")

  I would suggest using the official-looking Bill of Sale
form at http://www.vtr.org/buyers-guide.html in order
to record the sale.  Make out duplicate copies for you
and the seller -- the buyer (you) so it can be registered,
and the seller so that he can prove that he sold the
vehicle, and thus no longer has to register, insure, or
pay excise taxes on it to the state of Massachusetts!

  Oh, and don't take an unregistered / uninsured car
for a test drive in Massachusetts.  I've got a horror
story on this topic...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers