Re: GT6 Perplexia

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: GT6 Perplexia
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:15:59 -0400 "Re: GT6 Perplexia" (Sep 17, 5:15pm)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin Secrest wrote:

> All right everyone, turn the flame throwers off for a moment, please ...
>
> I spoke today with my LBC mechanic about the tendancy of my GT6 steering
> to become *floaty* at higher speeds, and he suggested something simple --
> such as a tire pressure that is too high.  He points out that the GT/Spit is
> engineered for a pressure of 20-25 lbs., and I am running with something more
> like 40-45 lbs. on a set of Dunlops.  He also says that individual tire
pressure
> recommendations are irrelevant to this lower pressure requirement for the
car.

> Of course, I protested about tire wear, reduced MPG and all that stuff, but
> he maintains that the Spit/GT6 is so *nimble,* it requires a lower pressure,
as
> Triumph indeed recommends.  So there it is ... more fuel for the fire ...
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6-3

Martin,

Please tell me you are kidding about using 40-45 psi in your tires.
This is dangerous. Most tires are only rated for 36 psi. I can't
say on the GT6, but on the Spit the recommended tire pressures are
21 front and 24 rear. I found that this is too low on my car and
accelerates the tire wear, so I run 23 front/26 rear. When I auto-x
the car, I run a staggered set up that is unlike most other racers.

I agree with what Charlie B. wrote about lowering pressures and
chalking your tires.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
'73 Spitfire 1500