Re: Massachusetts TR4 with no title

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: Massachusetts TR4 with no title
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:18:24 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill --

My '71 MKIV Spit came from Mass. with no title. As I was titling the
car in VA I was very worried about the same thing. The PO provided me
with an recently expired registration. To my huge surprise VA took it
with almost no problem.. they had to consult their book but it didn't
take any time at all.... I think it's key to have an old registration
to prove the car was from MA and a bill of sale of some sort.

The VA folks said that anything prior to '73 from MA was fine.

> I've been negotiating to buy a '65 TR4 from a guy in Massachusetts. He's
> had it since before the title law went into effect in late '89? '90? At
> any rate, there's no title, because there was no such thing when he
> bought the car.
>
> Has anybody on the list recently purchased a legally owned pre-title-law
> car from Massachusetts? How does one prove ownership of such a car to
> New Jersey Motor Vehicles? If you can't answer that one, how about to
> Mass Motor Vehicles?
>
> I've posed this question by email to NJMV, but I'm not confident in
> receiving a reply before my trip to Boston this weekend.
>
> TIA.
> Bill Kelly
> '62 Herald, in restoration since 11/96
> I want my car back!