TR3 rear leaf springs - rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 rear leaf springs - rebuild
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 08:08:26 -0400
Another question for the collective wisdom of the list.

 Noticed that both of the rear springs on my car are missing one of the
straps or bands clamping the leaves together.  Figured I could get a spring
shop to fabricate and rivet a new one in place.  What about the individual
leaves?  Should they be cleaned (blasted?) and painted or is a clean metal
to metal surface required to provide the proper spring/friction action for
proper springing action?  Will certainly clean the outside edges of the
assembled spring and paint the exposed surfaces, but just wondering about
the individual leaves.  Have seen examples of some models of cars with
springs covered in canvas bags and filled with oil, etc.
Just another detail I was puzzling about.

Thanks for any help.

Angelo Graham
1959 TR3A
Waterloo, Ont. Canada