Re: TR3 rear leaf springs - rebuild

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 rear leaf springs - rebuild
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 12:11:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, ron botting wrote:

> Prior to mounting I laid them on thier sides and soaked them with 30wt
> engine oil. I have read that you are not supposed to lubricate leaf springs
> but given the 40 years of corrosion I  felt better about softening up any
> remaining rust.

Leaf springs with rubber inserts between the leaves shouldn't be
lubricated because it will deteriorate the rubber.  Springs without
inserts, like those on your TR3 and my TR4, should be lubed to decrease
friction and wear.  Chassis grease is best, but difficult to apply unless
you disassemble the springs.  Years ago you could buy special grease gun
adapters that could be wedged in between the leaves to lube them, but I
haven't seen one of those for ages. Engine oil is better than nothing, but
it washes out pretty quickly. Chain saw bar oil is better because it is
"stickier" and more likely to stay put.

I use motorcycle chain oil, which is sold in aerosol cans at all
motorcycle shops.  It sprays out with a very low viscosity, so it
penetrates between the leaves well, but it thickens to a grease as the
solvent evaporates and sticks like glue.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us