Re: Flashing headlights & RADAR Detectors

To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Flashing headlights & RADAR Detectors
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Sholtes IV wrote:

>   As far as I know,only "permanantly installed and operational" (your
> interpretation may vary) RADAR detectors are illegal in CT.  If you

<Officer hears mangling noises as (s)he approaches speeder>
But Ociffer, It ain't operational, see?  ;-)

>   Be warned however, that the first thirty miles going north from New
> York
> on I-95 are efectively "RADAR jammed", by the D.O.T.'s  highway
> traffic flow maintainance RADAR monitoring system. In this area,the
> State Police use LASER tracking to ascertain the speed of passing mot-
> orists.  Good luck, it's a jungle out there, and just don't speed..;^)

There's a radar detector in one of the work trucks, I turn it off when I
have to drive it.  In the city it's no use because they could easily be
squirting the radar gun 3 streets over and the li'l think will squawk and
beep.  More distracting than helpful.

Myself, I don't have one.  With a Chevette, it's cheaper to just obey the
speed limit (get better mileage too).

On Vancouver Island, we also have Laser guns.  These take about 1/3
second to register your speed, so if you can see the trap, you're already
in it.  It takes longer to squeeze the trigger than it does to check you.

Another neat thing I've seen is a tripod-mounted gun with an electronic
placard below it that relays *your* speed to *you*.  Trouble I had was
that there was 4 lanes where I saw it last, I couldn't tell who was being
tested.

-Malcolm
'62 TR4, up on blocks and not happy

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.