Re: Dzus

To: jruwaldt@indiana.edu
Subject: Re: Dzus
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-09-19 14:29:09 EDT, jruwaldt@indiana.edu writes:

> I'm sure either one is correct, but I wonder if anyone knows where the
>  word came from.  Webster's unabridged dictionary doesn't include it.
>  Jim Ruwaldt

Jim et. al. see the fall '97 issue of "American Heritage of Invention and
Technology" magazine for a good article on the Dzus Fastener.  Article says
to pronounce it "Zeus" and it comes from the name of the inventor, William
Dzus.  He was a Ukrainian peasant, born in 1895, who emigrated to the US at
age 18 and died a wealthy industrialist in 1964.  The fasteners were invented
in 1931 for fastening the engine cowlings on US Army Air Corps fighters.
 Cheers.
Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (she has no Dzus fasteners)