sparking plugz

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, mstahlke@denver.infi.net
Subject: sparking plugz
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:35:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 19 Sep 1997
Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net> wrote:
Subject: Re: (no subject)
On 19-Sep-97, Andrew Mace wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, lewis mckillop wrote:
>>     Anyone know which sparkplug i need to use in my 64 spit? I have a 63
>> spit with a 64 (i think, engine# FC54961HE) engine in it. I have heard
>> 1/2" reach and 3/4" reach on the plugs. Thanks for the help.....again.
>> Lewis McKillop
>> 63 spit- in restoration
>The original plug would be 1/2" reach, Champion L87Y. Fortunately, as a
>friend discovered many, many years ago, the 3/4" reach plugs usually
>won't hurt anything. ;-)
>--Andy
Danger, Will Rogers, danger! (imagine a robot with flapping arms).
If oversizes plugs are left in too long, they can damage the threads when
finally removed. I've seen this happen on aluminum motorcycle heads. Good
British steel would probably fare much better, but oversize plugs are a bad
thing.Mark

Oh boy,reminds me of the time a friend of mine bought a 1959 Herald 948
Saloon/Sedan,the DPO had fitted Herald 1200 plugs,which are slightly longer,
and the result was that two or three of the original 948 pistons promptly
melted into useless blobs! This was apparently because the difference in the
temperature of the spark and the melting point of the piston alloy is about
ten degrees celsius,I'm not sure what that is in real merkan fahrenheit,but
it's not a lot,so don't fit longer plugs under any circumstances.
Happy & safe Sparking
Leon