Re: Undersize big-end bearings

To: "Giles Nelson" <Giles.Nelson@cl.cam.ac.uk>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Undersize big-end bearings
From: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:21:21 -0700
Stop by your local auto parts store and get some "plastic-gage". Remove the
bearing caps, remove all oil from bearing and crank, lay a small piece of
"P-gage" across the bearing, reinstall the cap and torque to specs, remove
cap again and measure width of 'P-gage". This will tell you how much
clearance you have. 'P-gage" comes in different thickness' for different
clearances, you might have to follow this process several times. This
procedure should be done every time and on every bearing that you
replace!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you find that you are close to 10 thousandths you can then "scrape" some
material off the new 30 thousandths undersized bearings, or have a m-shop
ream to size. Not a job for the UN or semi-skilled. Any-ways the "P-gage"
will let you know where you stand.

Don't forget to check for visual signs of wear.

Mark