Re: spitfire steering play

To: david r simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire steering play
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 18:11:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
david,

There's a flexible coupling at the base of the steering shaft, just
above the steering rack. The shaft and the coupling are splined and over
time the coupling splines wear slightly. This allows the steering wheel
to slide up about 1/8-1/4". Because the bolt in the coupling passes
through a reduced diameter area of the shaft, the shaft cannot pull
completely out--ain't that fortunate =8O

There may be some way to shim the splines, but short of replacing the
coupling, you may just want to live with it.

Charlie B.