re:spitfire steering play

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:spitfire steering play
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:59:05 GMT
> Hi list
>On my 76 spitfire there is some axial play on the steering wheel.  It moves in
>& out about 1/8 of a inch.  Has any one else has this problem and was able
>to fix it.  Have not looked at the manual yet, hoped someone could send me
>off in the right direction.
>Dave Simpson

Dave...There's a locking sleeve on the base of the steering column
near where it exits the bulkhead.  My memory is fuzzy, but I think
you'll find a setscrew there...check for tightness.  Only other thing
that comes to mind just now is the flexible coupling going into the
steering rack.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits