Re: Windows and crank pins

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Windows and crank pins
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:21:32 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Let*s talk *windows* for a moment, shall we?
>
> Surely someone must know how to do this properly.  I have a door trim pad off
>on my GT6 -- that*s the easy part.  But I recall that the last time I had to
>reassemble a
> window crank, I just about lost my mind trying to reinsert the window crank
>pin.
> What is the trick for doing this?  (My mental health may depend on your
>answer...)
>
> Also -- what  commonly contributes to windows that are hard to crank up and
>down?
> The crank winder springs in my GT6 are noisy and binding, even when
>lubricated -- is this part of the problem?
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6 III

Martin:

Besides walking away from the task when getting totally frustrated and
returning after cooling down, the best method I have found is this:

If you are using the "solid pins", good luck! They tend to be too small
in diameter to allow them to stand up in the hole to position for
pusing down when you are also pusing the handle back against the spring.
The answer, go to your local auto parts dealer or good hardware store
and
buy some role pins. These can be adjusted in diameter (you usually don't
need to) by inserting a knife blade in the seem of the role and gently
prying. The idea is to get the diameter to the size that the pin will
fit in the hole but remain snug so it will stay vertical when you are
pushing in the handle to line up the holes. Insert the pin in the handle
so it remains verticle but does not extend past the bottom of the hole
(I think you can figure out why). Align the handle so the pin/hole
matches
where the crank stub hole is and press back to allign the holes.
Although you can't see when the holes are alined, a few tries
(honestly, not many) and the pin will engage the hole and then it's in.
I use an awl to push the pin since it is long, the tip fits into the top
of the role pin, and the shaft is thin so you don't need alot of
clearance
between handle and door panel.

Hope this helps.

Scott Suhring