FW: Re: Race Spit Comm. Number

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: Race Spit Comm. Number
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:45:39 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Odd Hedberg
<odd@triumphclub.se>]]

     Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 23:19:46 +0200
     From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
     Subject: Re: Race Spit Comm. Number

Hi Susan,

You wrote:
> Hi all (and especially Andy on this one... :)!
snip
> I have a question for ya -- it is listed as FD9604 (and a PO wrote
> FD9604L in the log book -- does the "L" mean anything?  It wasn't
> on the plate on the car.) and I am trying to find out exactly what
> year that was.  So far, it has been narrowed down to 1967-68 by the
> Vickie Brit chart, but the VTR site provided no new info.

It's made in the summer of 1967. Probably late summer. (FD1 was made
in January '67 and FD15302 was the first Spit made in January '68.)
The Suffix L stands for Left hand steering. It's as simple as that.
If the Comm No plate says FD9604L then it left the factory with left
hands steering, if it says only FD9604 then it's a right hand steer
car. What it has got currently doesn't really count since '67 was a
long time, and probably many DPO's, ago. On the Comm No plate You
should also find information on Paint and Trim Codes.

Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4
S-74236 =D6sthammar    International liaison secretary,
Sweden               Triumph Club of Sweden
                    '70 Spitfire Mk3 FD82497LO Signal Red
            E-mail:  odd@triumphclub.se / odd.hedberg@bigfoot.com
          Club URL:  http://www2.passagen.se/triumph/
    Home Telephone:  Int+ 46-1731 7131
Geographical Position:  N 60deg15min  E 18deg23min