Re: 63 spit engine swap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 63 spit engine swap
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 07:18:18 -0700
Lewis M. writes:
>    I am thinking about changing the engine in my 63 spit. I would like
>some information about other engines (and trannies) that will be the
>easiest to slid in. I was told a rotory RX-7 works well and provides a
>major increase in power. I am a little hesitant to go with the rotory
>since i know exactly zero about them. Any ideas/thoughts on this would
>be appreciated.
**************************
Yeah, I know, you guys figured I'd respond to this one . . .

Lewis,
This may not be the answer you want to hear but the only thing that really
'slips' into the Spitfire is a Spitfire engine.  Your best bet is a later
model 1300, or 1500.  This is really a bolt in swap.  Given enough time and
money you can make just about any engine/tranny fit, but it depends on what
you have in mind.  I guess you haven't seen Grassroots Motorsports article
on stuffing a Rotary into a late Spitfire or you wouldn't be saying it was
easy.  Most engine swaps require major fabrication of some sort or another.
 In my case the overriding concern was NO frame, bonnet, firewall
modifications of any type (other than maybe a little trimming of a flange
here and there).  I achieved this, but it took considerable
fabrication/modification of other components.  The other factor to consider
is upgrading the brakes and rear end.  With just a later, larger Spitfire
engine these are less of a concern.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )