Need some help with tube tire mounting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need some help with tube tire mounting
From: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:28:42 -0500
I have finally finished restoring my wheels and am trying to make up a set
of tires with the Michelin X repros. They are tube tires like the originals.

I am having A-1 Wheel (Houston) mount them for me. The guy has done nothing
but tires and wheels for over 25 years. He is really good at making sure
that the wheels don't get scratched, etc.

Anyway, my problem is that he tells me the wheels have to go on the machine
upside down because of the different mounting offsets on the inside of the
rims. (the short offset is on the inside and the tall offset is on the
ouside). He says you have to mount them this way in order to put tubes in
them.

The funny thing is that he says that he has done many TR6 wheels over the
years, but remembers the offset being the other way around letting him
mount the tires and wheels right side up.

The wheels are originals, so his memory must be bad on this, but what is
really getting us is that one of the wheels (both original) has an
indentation on the inside of the wheel where the tube stem goes through.
What is happening on this one is that the tube shifts a little during the
airing up process and the stem gets whacked off ruining a $17 tube and
making him do it again. It has happened three times on this wheel. The
other one went right in.

Does anyone with any prior intimate knowledge of this process still have
any memeories that can help?

Thanks in advance.