Chemistry? Was: SB42

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chemistry? Was: SB42
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:02:14 -0700
Tom Tweed wrote:

> Well, you really don't need no stinkin' lead, either.  Its addition
> to gasoline dates from the 1920's, before modern chemistry had
> managed to get the octane number up high enough through refining alone.

Hi All,
        I'm not a Chemist, but I thought the level of pollutants produced by
Unleaded fuel was considered more dangerous than those produced by
leaded, because of the high level of carcinogenic aromatics necessary to
raise the Octane to the same level as leaded. The only advantage of the
unleaded is the ability it gives to use a catalytic converter, which
once warm, Genuinely gives a reduction in pollutants.

Comments from any Chemists on the list would be welcome.

        Bill.
--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1975 Spitfire 1500