Re: Chemistry? Was: SB42

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chemistry? Was: SB42
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:33:29 -0700
James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:

> [...]
> > >  >leaded, because of the high level of carcinogenic aromatics necessary to
> > >  >raise the Octane to the same level as leaded. The only advantage of the
> > >  >unleaded is the ability it gives to use a catalytic converter, which
> > >  >once warm, Genuinely gives a reduction in pollutants.
> > >  >
> > >  >Comments from any Chemists on the list would be welcome.
> > >  >
> > >  >        Bill.
> > >  >--
> > >
> > > Well, I'm not a chemist either, but I work with a few of them here
> > > at a Toxic Hazard research lab, and from our discussions, it seems
> > > that the lead itself is the problem, and since the catalytic con-
> > > vertor would be ruined by lead and is also necessary to reduce the
> > > total emissions, those are two very good reasons to abandon the
> > > lead content.  The blood lead levels of children have come down
> > > significantly in the years since the lead phase-out, can't give
> > > you hard numbers off the bat, but this seems to be common know-
> > > ledge among some health/environmental chemists, and a sure sign
> > > of the success of the decision, it seems to me.
> > >
> > > Surely you have heard of the blame for the downfall of the Roman
> > > Empire being placed on their use of lead water pipes for plumbing,
> > > which in fact gives plumbing its English name and lead its chemical
> > > abbreviation, Pb.  8-)  Not that I'd care to argue the above, es-
> > > pecially on this Triumph list, but since lead is such a well-known
> > > health hazard, especially to the young, I just can't see any good
> > > reason for spewing tons of it into the air for the gratification
> > > of a few LEAD-footed motorheads !
> > >
> > > Horse-hair lined, fiberglass-reenforced asbestos undies at the
> > > ready,
> > > Tom Tweed
> > > SW Ohio
> > > Brehm Research Lab, Wright State U. Chem. dept.
> >
> > The strange thing is that I grew up in England in a house built in the
> > 20's which had lead water pipes, and alkaline water, which dissolves
> > lead. While I do not lay claim to be completely sane, since I buy LBC's,
> > I was at one time a member of MENSA, and coming up to 60 haven't yet
> > gone completely ga-ga. I also played with mercury, and worked in chem
> > labs where asbestos insulated our heating vessels, and worked
> > extensively with undiluted agent orange in the late 50s. I used
> > Chlordane to kill ants inside my house, and had extensive exposure to
> > benzene, vinyl chloride to name but a few. There's a lot of bullshit
> > science out there that people are making a lot of bucks from.
> >

> Bear in mind that some people are just less affected by some toxins.
> Also, if you used those substances when you were younger, your exposure
> may not have been long enough.  Notice how some five-pack-a-day smokers
> are still puffing away at ninety, while others quit at thirty and still
> die early.  Some people are just less susceptible.  It doesn't mean
> certain substances aren't actually toxic.

I think there's a point being missed here,
Unless a Catalytic Converter is fitted to a vehicle, Unleaded fuel is
proven to be MORE dangerous than Leaded.
If a Catalytic Converter is fitted but driven cold, Sulphur Dioxide is
produced.
When Catalytic Converters break down, they deposit Platinum into the
atmosphere.
I'll state again that I'm not a Chemist, and if anyone is qualified to
tell me I'm wrong, I'll happily accept that.

--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1975 Spitfire 1500