Re: Soft brakes fix (large content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Soft brakes fix (large content)
From: Terry Thompson <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:47:30 -0400
It just so happens that I had a leaky brake master cylinder
the other day, so I installed a new master cylinder and bled it
yesterday to fix the problem.  And yet there was that "soft
brake syndrom".  When I got home, I figured, what the heck, I'll
give it a shot. Nothing to lose except maybe bust a seal on a
new master cylinder.
 I woke-up this morning and ran down stairs and outside to see
if pumping and wedging the pedal worked.
Then I ran back inside because I realized I had no clothes on.
Then I ran back outside (after I got dressed) to remove the wood
block. And lo and behold, the girling demons had been exorcised.
(And yes, I left the cap for the reservoir on because of the
humidity we've had here in Maryland recently.)

Now, I spoke to a guy who works as a part-time mechanic on weekends
and he says it's a bunch of bunk (whatever that means). And
there wasn't a noticable drop in the fluid level in the reservoir.
(So maybe the demons are just hiding at the moment.)

Yet I've driven the car (I stop at over a dozen lights between my
house and work) and the brakes seam as stiff as they've ever been
(which may not be very stiff but..)
Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with the softness
going away, but I might also mention that part of my ceremony for
exorcising the daemons included several beers being consumed by
myself before going to bed. (which may explain why I ran outside
without any clothes on. Atleast I HOPE that explains it.)

-Terry
'76 Spit (rolling restoration)

http://www.access.digex.net/~terry_t