flaming dashboard

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: flaming dashboard
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:16:06 -0500
Peter,

Dave in Winnipeg here.  2 stories.

First,  the rehostat in my TR4a went during a slslom race and flamed the
whole lighting circuit.  Rather embarassing as I was 19 at the time,  only
my second race, and the whole thing is on video.  You can very easily find
out what is on that circuit when the wires are all melted.  The story DID
have a happy ending but it cost me a bunch of time and tin fumes from the
<soldered> joints I put in.

Second,  my 74 TR6 (RIP) had a similar problem.  I thin it is the indirect
light part that is true.  That and if the lamps arent fully home in their
sockets they get weal.  that nad the warining lamps rest right in the dash
- great deflection.

You can bypass the rhostat easily by making a "y" piece with commectors of
a shielded variety (Cdn Tire,etc).    There is an input and two outputs (or
the other way around).  They connect on opposite sides of the base of the
rehostat mechanically, and through the rehostat electrically.  Jumping this
gap remtat from the circuit and gives full voltage.  I removed the dash but
with nimble fingers you can do the job through the glove box or over the
radio.

While in back, it is a good idea to clean <all> the connections anyway.

BTW, I also made a "push for one wipe" system for the w/s wiper so that you
needen't turn the switch on and then off again.  ...just cheap at the time
I guess but it cost me about $2.  Info requested?

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg