Nit-picky TR4 carb question.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Nit-picky TR4 carb question.
From: triumph_tr4@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell Leach)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:25:27 -0800
Posted-date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
You see something different every day, working on an LBC.

This is actually two nit-picky questions for the TR-4 gurus.  Bruce,
pay attention now, this may be something for the judging guide.

A carburator rebuild seemed prudent for my daily driver.  But being
the LBC addict I am (and TR-4 addict in particular) I did not want to
take my driver off the road and mis-out on the good Hurricane Nora
weather in the process.  Two years worth of rain, locally, in a 12 hour
period, the car felt quite at home.  I digress.

I popped the carbs (HS6's) off the project -4 to rebuild them, so I
could install them on the driver while rebuilding the drivers carbs.
After all, they were all going to need it sooner or later, right?

I noticed two difference's between the carbs on these two cars.

The ID tags on the float chamber of the early car (CT5368LO) are marked
"AUC787F" and "AUC787R".  But the tags on the later car (CT13108L) are
marked "AUC787R" and "AUC787L", with the "R" being in front (and also
to the right, looking at the engine from the carburator side) and the
"L" being to the rear (or left from the carb side).  Is this normal?
And if so what is the cut-over point for this change?

The second difference is carb color.  The early car (CT5368LO) carbs
are all natural metal color.  The later car (CT13108L) has black carb
body's and off white dashpot chamber's.  Which is correct?  Are they
both?  Or, are the painted carbs a "personel" touch added by a DPO,
of which there have been two.  (The painted carbs are the ones with
the "R" and "L", vise "F" and "R".)

Any body have answers on these?  Or, am I chasing a DPO bit of revenge?

So Long,

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
  email: Triumph_TR4@ridgecrest.ca.us
         http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~token/PAGE1.html
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)  Everyday
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk 2
1967 Spitfire Mk 3   In work, lots of 1500 stuff
Keeper of the TR-4 List, Version 1.4 availible.