Re: Smog II, III, IV, V, VI..... <low lbc content>

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Smog II, III, IV, V, VI..... <low lbc content>
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 19:40:10 GMT
Cc: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us
Thomas writes:

>It has long been my opinion that this is exactly what is driving the
>Emissions Regulation.   I believe that it did start as an attempt to gather
>information on opperation and compliance but very, very soon it became clear
>that a LOT of money was changing hands.   (also there is some pressure to
>rid the state of old cars so that new cars may be purchased.  this has the
>effect of stimulating the overall economy in a very broad way.)   Now many
>decisions seem to be made based on how much money will flow.   Not on how
>much gas is dispensed into the atmosphere.
>Thomas Howard

This is too bad really.  I'd still like to see some figures on the
registrations of twenty year old cars in CA though.  That might give
an indication of how much money is involved.

It's a bit embarrassing to think that the technical arguments offered
in favor of SB42 were "out to lunch"  concerning the *real* issue. :-)

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits