Smog II, III, IV, V, VI..... <low lbc content>

To: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Subject: Smog II, III, IV, V, VI..... <low lbc content>
From: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:00:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

>But I'm having trouble with the line of reasoning that the enforcement
>cutoff year will be chosen simply to offset a loss of revenue for the
>state and it's car oriented businesses.
>
>Whew!...see what you guys started? :-)
>
>Tom O'Malley
>'74, '77 Spits

It has long been my opinion that this is exactly what is driving the
Emissions Regulation.   I believe that it did start as an attempt to gather
information on opperation and compliance but very, very soon it became clear
that a LOT of money was changing hands.   (also there is some pressure to
rid the state of old cars so that new cars may be purchased.  this has the
effect of stimulating the overall economy in a very broad way.)   Now many
decisions seem to be made based on how much money will flow.   Not on how
much gas is dispensed into the atmosphere.

Thomas Howard
LUSD, (619) 390-2627
('72 Triumph GT-6; and a good bit of USA iron)