Re: Performance clutch wanted

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, susan@grotecon.com
Subject: Re: Performance clutch wanted
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 13:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 28/09/97  01:19:02, you write:
<< Subj:        Re: Performance clutch wanted
 Date:  28/09/97  01:19:02
 From:  amace@unix2.nysed.gov (Andrew Mace)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com
 CC:    susan@grotecon.com
 Leon, one question about your "recipe"? Which gearbox are you assuming is
 being used here? Seems to me that a later Spitfire 1500 friction plate
 would NOT work with any of the three-rail gearboxes, as the splines don't
 match up (10 on 3-rail boxes; 20 on single-rail boxes). Other than that,
 sounds like a good recipe to me.
 --Andy, on behalf of my buddy Susan
 Andrew Mace, President and                *
  >>Quite right Andy,thanx for pointing out this important point,I forgot
about the first-motion shaft aka 'input shaft' over here!!!
As far as I remember,and I haven't seen it for a long time now,(so it must be
the best combination of clutch parts I've ever used!!!),my shaft is a 10
spline shaft,these are the ones the racing boys prefer,because it's
easier/quicker to get them to line-up when removing/replacing the gearbox at
the race circuit,than the 20-spline version.
I believe the starting point of the splines have been filed a little smoother
to make it even quicker...I know I cahn now remove all the trim etc,remove
O/D gearbox,remove & replace complete clutch and replace it all in two hours
single-handed although it might just take me a bit longer now as I'm out of
practice.
In a race spit it could be ever faster,as it won't have so much trim/carpets.
So I suppose the best way forward would be to change the 20-spline first
motion shaft for a 10-spline,(ask John Kipping),and use the above clutch
combination.
It would almost certainly be worth it,knowing how often race spitfires need
their
clutch changing!!!
Regards
Leon