Re: Dashboard

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 10:54:59 -0800
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Danielson wrote:

> Plan on redoing the whole interior including the dash this winter. Having
> done a lot of woodworking and cabinet making over the years I'm debating
> whether it's worth keeping the existing dash and just putting a new veneer
> surface on it. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than $250 or so for a
> whole new dash. Has anyone had any experience with doing this and how did it
> hold up in heat and humidity? Assuming the "plywood" backing is still solid,
> applying veneer is very straight forward.
> This next question may be heresy but has anyone ever used any of the new
> plastic wood like laminates on their dash? It could give the car a nice
> Detroit or Japanese look to it! Just kiddin.
>
> Bob Danielson

Bob,
I used a veneer on the dash of an MGTD I owned in a previous life.  It
actually held up well.  THe stuff I used was sold in rolls and was very
easy to apply.  I installed  it the same way cabinet tops are done with
Formica.  Thin coats of contact cement, dry thoroughly then stick
together.  Trim edges.  It lasted the 3 years I had the car.  Might even
still be there.  Last time I saw it was in Dallas.  It was red and
"RIGHT"-hand drive.

Anybody in that area seen a '52 Red TD with RHD and a Walnut Grain Dash?

Joe Curry   '63 Spit