Re: Dashboard

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 16:15:39 +0000
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Danielson wrote:(snip)

> Plan on redoing the whole interior including the dash this winter. Having
> done a lot of woodworking and cabinet making over the years I'm debating
> whether it's worth keeping the existing dash and just putting a new veneer
> surface on it
> This next question may be heresy but has anyone ever used any of the new
> plastic wood like laminates on their dash? It could give the car a nice
> Detroit or Japanese look to it! Just kiddin.
>
> Bob Danielson

Bob; If the plywood is solid, and you've got the experience, a re-veneer
is the way to go. And yes, there's a plastic counter top material made
by Wilson Art that is perfect for this. A friend has done several Tiger
dashboards this way. Glue it on. then use a router to open the holes.
It's then covered with one thick coat of Envirotex. This is a 2 part
plastic that equals @ 60 layers of lacquer! You can't tell the end
result from a first class hand rubbed refinish! I did my Tiger dash with
solid cherry wood, followed with the envirotex. Tweleve years later, it
still looks great, no cracks. And that car wasn't a trailer queen! Lots
of summer sunlight and cold winters in the garage.