Re: spitfire restoration

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: spitfire restoration
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 14:24:14 -0800
Cc: Mike Green <mgreen@provide.net>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Mike Green wrote to me:
>
> > I am in need of a source for a right front rubber bumper overrider for a
> > 1974 spitfire that I am currently restoring. Any help on a source would be
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> I can't help Mike on this one, so I'm tossing it out to all of you here on
> the "Triumphs" list. Anyone got an overrider from a '74 Spitfire? I'm
> assuming that this would be the more "cone-shaped" overrider used only in
> 1974, not the later, more squared ones used '75-'79.
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

  For what it's worth; I have a '74, and had occasion to replace the
front bumper overiders, but couldn't locate any at the time (5 years
or more ago), and found that the overiders for a '72-'73 Mark4 were,
at the time, available from The Roadster Factory, so I went ahead and
ordered a pair and replaced the trashed (another story) stock overiders
with the earlier model ones and was pleasantly surprised to find that
the overiders for the Mark 4 looked much better on the car than the
stock ones. I believe the '74 overiders were the result of Federal laws
newly implemented that addressed safety concerns authored by the ever
present do-gooders obsessed with taking responsibility for everyone
else' safety, imagined or real; but I digress....At the time, they
seemed damned expensive, though I can't recall actual price.  On second
thought, I may have ordered them through Victoria British..it's been
awhile.