Re: spitfire restoration

To: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Subject: Re: spitfire restoration
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 18:01:27 -0500
Cc: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, Mike Green <mgreen@provide.net>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Rick deOlazarra wrote:
> I believe the '74 overiders were the result of Federal laws
> newly implemented that addressed safety concerns authored by the ever
> present do-gooders obsessed with taking responsibility for everyone
> else' safety, imagined or real; but I digress...

  ...actually, no.

  The Overriders were for insurance purposes, not safety. The
problem was that insurance rates were going through the roof
because an everyday little touch to the bumpers was costing
thousands to fix properly.

  The laws at the time were something to the effect of
"vehicle must withstand collision of X mph without sustaining
over $Y in damage" or something to that effect.

  The overriders allowed this.

  Sorry if the facts get in the way of another nice
conspiracy rumour involving do-gooders and overactive
governments, but...

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada