Re: Why Brass Trunnions?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why Brass Trunnions?
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 23:17:49 -0800
        I just got my Spitfire and the first thing I did was replace the
trunnions. I assumed they were brass and wore relatively quickly to protect
the upright. If you make one part hard and the other part soft, only one
part will wear out. The trunnion is cheaper to make and easier to replace,
so it seems the logical choice. This is why I cringe at "lifetime
guarantee" brake pads. They are supposed to wear. If the pads don't wear
the rotor will, and which one is cheaper and easier to replace?!?

Brian Harper
1978 Spitfire