--- PLEASE READ - THIS IS NOT A JOKE

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: --- PLEASE READ - THIS IS NOT A JOKE
From: tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM (Tom Wagner - Program Manager)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:08:32 -0600
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
To All:

PLEASE READ THIS AND TAKE THE WARNING.

Tom Wagner
67 MGB
72 TR 6

hey ya'll  be very careful when you travel!!

     This is one scary TRUE warning to everyone.  Please read and be
     careful what strangers you associate with.

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Subject: Lethal Scam --- PLEASE READ - THIS IS NOT A JOKE
Date:    11/5/97 8:04 AM

Please read the following .... this appears to be a real issue, not
just someone's idea of a good joke ... PLEASE PASS ON TO ALL YOUR
PEOPLE FOR THEIR INFORMATION .....

     This was on 20/20 several weeks ago...My wife the nurse has
confirmed
     that this is indeed going on.  Please be careful, and bounce this
     message to anyone and everyone you can think of. I wish to warn you
     about a new crime ring that is targeting business travelers. This
ring
     is well organized, well funded, has very skilled personnel, and is
     currently in most major cities and recently; very active in New
     Orleans.  The crime begins when a business traveler goes to a lounge

     for a drink at the end of the work day.

     A person in the bar walks up as they sit alone and offers to buy
them
     a drink.  The last thing the traveler remembers until they wake up
in
     a hotel room bath tub, their body submerged to their neck in ice, is

     sipping that drink.  There is a note taped to the wall instructing
     them not to move and to call 911.  A phone is on a small table next
     the bathtub for them to call.  The business traveler calls 911, who
     have become quite familiar with this crime.  The business traveler
is
     instructed by the 911 operator to very slowly and carefully reach
     behind them and feel if there is a tube protruding from their lower
     back. The business traveler finds the tube and answers "yes."  The
911
     operator tells them to remain still, having already sent paramedics
     help.  The operator knows that both of the business traveler's
kidneys
     have been harvested.

     This is not a scam or out of a science fiction novel, it is real. It

     is documented and confirmable.  If you travel or someone close to
you
     travels, please be careful.

     Regards
     Jerry Mayfield

     From: Patty Radford

     Yes, this does happen. My sister-in-law works with a lady that this
     happened to her son's neighbor who lives in Houston.  The only
"good"
     thing to his whole story is the fact that the people doing this
     horrible crime are very aware of what complications can happen
     afterwards, and take detailed precautions to set up the room before
     leaving.  The word from my sister-in-law is that the hospital in Las

     Vegas (yes, Vegas) prior to transferring him back to Houston stated
     that these people know exactly what they are doing.  The incision,
     etc. was exact and clean.

     They use sterile equipment, etc. and the hospital stated that other
     than the fact that the victim loses a kidney there have not been any

     reports of other complications due to non-sterile, etc. tactics that

     were used.

     From:  Kathy White

     Sadly, this is very true.  My husband is a Houston Firefighter/EMT
and
     they have received alerts regarding this crime ring.  It is to be
     taken very seriously.  The daughter of a friend of a fellow
     firefighter had this happen to her.  Skilled doctors are performing
     these crimes! (which, by the way have been highly noted in the Las
     Vegas area).  Additionally, the military has received alerts
regarding
     this.

     This story blew me away.  I really want as many people to see this
as
     possible so please bounce this to whoever you can. Please think when

     you drink.

     A friend of mine from U of T passed this story onto me from the
"Daily
     Texan" - the University of Texas newspaper. Apparently it occurred
     during Fall Premier-a UT tradition that is a celebration of the end
of
     midterms. - Jeff

     This guy went out last Saturday night to a party.  He was having a
     good time, had a couple of beers and some girl seemed to like him
and
     invited him to go to another party.  He quickly agreed and decided
     go along with her.  She took him to a party in some apartment and
they
     continued to drink, and even got involved with some other drugs
     unknown which).  The next thing he knew, he woke up completely naked

     in a bathtub filled with ice.  He was still feeling the effects of
the
     drugs, but looked around to see he was alone.  He looked down at his

     chest, which had "CALL 911 OR YOU WILL DIE" written on it in
lipstick.
     He saw a phone was on a stand next to the tub, so he picked it up
and
     dialed.  He explained to the EMS operator what the situation was and

     that he didn't know where he was, what he took, or why he was really

     calling.

     She advised him to get out of the tub.  He did, and she asked him to

     look himself over in the mirror. He did, and appeared normal, so she

     told him to check his back.  He did, only to find two 9-inch slits
on
     his lower back. She told him to get back in the tub immediately, and

     they sent a rescue team over.  Apparently, after being examined, he
     found out more of what had happened.  His kidneys were stolen. They
     are worth 10,000 dollars each on the black market.  (I was unaware
     this even existed.)

     Several guesses are in order:  The second party was a sham, the
people
     involved had to be at least medical students, and it was not just
     recreational drugs he was given.  Regardless, he is currently in the

     hospital on life support, awaiting a spare kidney. The University of

     Texas in conjunction with Baylor University Medical Center is
     conducting tissue research to match the sophomore student with a
     donor.

     <<<<    PLEASE DON'T TAKE DRINKS FROM STRANGERS. >>>>

----- End Included Message -----