Re: More Dirty Engine Flushing

To: stu.jo@ibm.net
Subject: Re: More Dirty Engine Flushing
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:58:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
stu.jo@ibm.net wrote (thanks!):

>IMHO, putting a high detergent additive in a dirty engine can have
>disastrous affects.This is because the detergent piocks up a lot of
>sludge and deposits it in critical oilways. I speak from experience,
>having done this to a 1956 Ford Zephyr in the UK back in the early 60's
>when some new oil came out that was going to do all kinds of wonderful
>things to keep your engine clean

...which is why I wrote the initial post.  I also have heard of this,
however; am unsure how this would happen with a full-flow filtration system
if the oil filter was changed every several hours through the flushing
process??? I can see how it might chew on the oil pump since it lives upstream
from the filter.  I though some wise technical guru knows how the sludge
makes it past the filter to the wearing parts.   I can see how this would
happen with an engine (such as the early TR2) that had a partial filtration
system.  I can also see that this would happen if one didn't replace a
clogged filter in a full-flow filtration system and the emergency bypass
opened.  Was the Zephyr a full-flow filtration system?

Anyone else with knowledge here?

Bruce Clough
'62 TR4 with a very, very clean engine
'81 TR7 - planning on looking in the engine later this year
'60 Buick LeSabre - Battlestar Galactica,
'61 Chrysler Newport - "Shamu" with the dirty engine guts
'65 Plymouth Valiant - Daily driver, winter beater, etc.