Re: Delco/Crane-Allison

To: sdkgt6@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Delco/Crane-Allison
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 7 Nov 97 8:37:20
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott Kohl wrote:

>>A friend of mine has done a ground-up on a GT6+, and it had the Allison
(pre-Crane) with the Delco dist.  Why won't yours work, does it say so,
or does it just not work?  If all else fails, you can switch to a Lucas
dist.  The factory manual lists Lucas dist. no. 41168 (originally for
the Vitesse 2 Litre Mk. 1)as being a "service alternative".  FWIW, the
PO of mine replaced the Delco (through his local BL dealer, no doubt,
this was in '72) shortly after he bought it, with 32k on the engine.  It
outlasted the engine, which I pulled at 240k (main knock).  It is still
going on my spare powerplant.  They can be had used for 40-50 pounds,
and you can still get new vac. advance diaphragms for it.

Cheers

Scott Kohl
'69 GT6+ (260k daily driver, and looks it)
'67 2000 Saloon (daily, laid up for a few days)<<

I haven*t actually bought the Crane-Allison yet, but it looks like I will.
Apparently,
it*s the breaker plate that*s the problem on the Delco distributor, and Crane
has
an adaptation for it  -- which it seems to be model XR-700-0226,
according to the Crane technician I spoke with (at 904-258-9055 ... thanks
Shawn).  The *0226* designation is for a Delco distributor with the advance
mechanism below the
breaker plate, and this seems to show up on reference charts as fitting a Ford,
not
a Triumph.  But the Crane guy assures me this is what I need to fit my 73 GT6,
with
the Delco.  I*ll give an update if it works.

By the way, congratulations on getting 240K out of your engine.  I*ve heard
other
such success stories on the GT6-banger ... *like a rock* ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6