Re: A question about motor flushing

To: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: A question about motor flushing
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:04:17 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> The last time I adjusted my valve clearances, I decided things looked a little
> gummy under the valve cover, so I picked up a bottle of STP Motor Flush. The
> directions indicate to add it to the oil of a hot engine, run the engine for 5
> (if already relatively clean) to 20 (if dirty) minutes at about 1500 rpm, then
> drain.  Until the recent thread about flushing a dirty engine, I had not
> given the use of this product much thought (I bought it several months ago
> and have not got around to using it).  Does anyone have experience with such
> a treatment?  The TR6 engine in my car has about 64k miles on it.  If there
> is any risk of damage, I will just consign the STP Engine Flush to a space
> on the shelf next to the Slick 50 I will never use after reading the
> essay about it on a Triumph Web site.
>
> Thanks in advance, Richard
> 1974 TVR 2500M

Richard, people have been flushing engines for years, I don't understand
this thread. If you change your oil on a regular basis like you should
never have a problem, if never change your oil then it could be a
problem. This business about detergent vs. non-detergent is B.S.
non-detergent has not been in use other than 30wt. for 25 years. If you
find a hidden car stored in a garage for 50 years type of oil is no
matter, the air in the tires is more important (filtered or not)