Re: A question about motor flushing

To: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: A question about motor flushing
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 00:53:03 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu wrote:

> The last time I adjusted my valve clearances, I decided things looked
> a little
> gummy under the valve cover, so I picked up a bottle of STP Motor
> Flush. The
> directions indicate to add it to the oil of a hot engine, run the
> engine for 5
> (if already relatively clean) to 20 (if dirty) minutes at about 1500
> rpm, then
> drain.  Until the recent thread about flushing a dirty engine, I had
> not
> given the use of this product much thought (I bought it several months
> ago
> and have not got around to using it).  Does anyone have experience
> with such
> a treatment?  The TR6 engine in my car has about 64k miles on it.  If
> there
> is any risk of damage, I will just consign the STP Engine Flush to a
> space
> on the shelf next to the Slick 50 I will never use after reading the
> essay about it on a Triumph Web site.
>
> Thanks in advance, Richard
> 1974 TVR 2500M

OK guys,
we are working with solid lifters and valves, not hydraulic.  You don't
need to worry about collapsing a lifter, but you will need to change
your oil more frequently for the next several changes, because of the
excess sludge and debris that will be loosened up.  Flushing is not a
one step cure-all for a dirty engine.  It took a lot of time to get it
that dirty and it will take a little time to clean it up.  And, what
ever you do, DO NOT RUN DEISEL FUEL IN YOUR CRANKCASE.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston