A question about motor flushing

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A question about motor flushing
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 01:56:17 PST
Cc: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
The last time I adjusted my valve clearances, I decided things looked a little
gummy under the valve cover, so I picked up a bottle of STP Motor Flush. The
directions indicate to add it to the oil of a hot engine, run the engine for 5
(if already relatively clean) to 20 (if dirty) minutes at about 1500 rpm, then
drain.  Until the recent thread about flushing a dirty engine, I had not
given the use of this product much thought (I bought it several months ago
and have not got around to using it).  Does anyone have experience with such
a treatment?  The TR6 engine in my car has about 64k miles on it.  If there
is any risk of damage, I will just consign the STP Engine Flush to a space
on the shelf next to the Slick 50 I will never use after reading the
essay about it on a Triumph Web site.

Thanks in advance, Richard
1974 TVR 2500M