Thrust washer damage...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thrust washer damage...
From: highwaystar@juno.com (Highway star)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:59:26 EST
Hi folks-

...and continuing with engine rebuild saga due the pesky thrust washer
failure, here are the items I had to replace in an already totally
rebuilt engine with less than 500  miles on it:

1-Pilot bushing
2-Water pump
3-Driving gear
4-Main bearings
5-Rod bearings
6-Piston rings

...and you thought your mechanic is honest....ha!  Even though it's
advisable to drop new the last three on the list at every opportunity,
but the first three should've been detectable.  I now have .005" engine
float. The whole engine and gearbox will be installed the car next
weekend and I'll provide an update on the engine float and how the car
runs (I wonder if it would!!).

If you recall I had our friend Herman in Simi Valley remachine the cap
for a 360" thrust washer surface.

Thanks to all who provided input on "...it is either necessary to remove
the engine with the gear box...if you don't want to messup the
interior...or take the tunnel cover off, unbolt the gear box and take
engine out."

As Triumph world turns-
Pouya