Wiring up my "new" compressor

To: "'Dan Masters'" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Wiring up my "new" compressor
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:37:42 -0800
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Dan and others of electrical wiring skills,

        I came by a "new" (about .25 hrs on it) compressor made by Hitachi.
All of the directions, ID numbers etc. are in Japanese.  The electrical needs
are
easy to make out though, calling for either 200 or 220 V.  My biggest concern
at this point is one tag which is in english says "220V, 4 pole".  I of very
limited
electrical knowledge, have NO IDEA what this means.
        The cable leading to the on/off switch has four wires coming out, all
of which are currently fitted with circle end crimp on fittings.  The colors of
the wires
are Black, Red, White, and Green.  The Black, Red and White are all
interconnected
by some sort of resistor thingies, three in all.  One between red and black,
one between
black and white, and one between red and white.  The green wire stands alone.
(as does the cheese I hear)
        Can someone tell me what these thingies do?  How would I connect these
four wires to a standard three prong 220 plug, such as that used for my dryer
in
my garage?  Or do I need a four prong plug and a new outlet box ?

        What have I gotten myself into ?

        Help me Mr. Wizard.......

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar