Re: Wiring up my "new" compressor

To: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring up my "new" compressor
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:54:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris Prugh wrote:

> Joe,
>         You wrote:
> <snip>
>
> It sounds a little strange if these wires are where the power is to be
> connected and goes to the switch.  Is it possible that you have a 3 phase
> motor?
>
>  You should see a 3 and a zero with a shash bar through it on the info
> plate if it is.  There may just be a line saying phase and a 3
> stamped in it. These are standard colors for a 3 phase circuit and the
> green would be ground.  How big of a motor (HP) is it.
>
> I went out and checked the plate (the only one with recognizable characters
>on it)
> It states, quite clearly I might add:  3 Phase Induction Motor
> below that are various ratings as follows:
>
>         Volts   200     200     220
>         Hz      50      60      60
>         RPM     1420    1700    1720
>         Amps    3.8     3.4     3.3
>
> I can't find a horsepower rating anywhere (at least in english)  Thanks for
>your help ....
> now, how can I wire it to my existing 220 (or can I?)
>
> Thanks again
>
> Chris Prugh
> 72 Spitfar
> Morgan Hill, CA

Chris,

I would say you are out of luck on the motor.  There are ways to do it
but it's not practical for you.

Your best bet is to buy a repalcement motor.  I can't remember how to
do a approximate conversion to HP from the volts and amps.

I believe that 1Hp is about 745 watts roughly.  But in a three phase
motor I don't know.  I would say that it is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hp
motor.  The equivalent single phase 220v motor would be more as the 3
phase motor has more starting torque.  I would guess that you need at
least a 2hp motor or possibly a little larger.  Don't forget that it is
a slow speed motor.  You can find a compressor rated (high starting
torque) with 1725 RPM very easy.  A motor shop could probably tell you
what you need.

I can't find my National Electrical code book that has all the info in
it.  Can anyone out there give him a better estimate???

You might have a real gem there.  It could be a two stage compressor
with a starting pressure release.  Look at it closely and see if there
appears to be any lines runing from one cylinder to the other or a
clutch on the compressor pully shaft etc.

If it is a commercial two stage type it wouldn't need a big of a motor
due to the low starting requirement.  Try to spin the compressor and
see if you get any pressur out of it wit the line to the tank loose.

Good luck and post me back if I can help you more.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6
Tupelo, MS USA