Re: Wiring up my "new" compressor

To: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring up my "new" compressor
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 21:33:02 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris Prugh wrote:

> Dan and others of electrical wiring skills,
>
>         I came by a "new" (about .25 hrs on it) compressor made by Hitachi.
> All of the directions, ID numbers etc. are in Japanese.  The electrical needs
>are
> easy to make out though, calling for either 200 or 220 V.  My biggest concern
> at this point is one tag which is in english says "220V, 4 pole".  I of very
>limited
> electrical knowledge, have NO IDEA what this means.
>         The cable leading to the on/off switch has four wires coming out, all
> of which are currently fitted with circle end crimp on fittings.  The colors
>of the wires
> are Black, Red, White, and Green.  The Black, Red and White are all
>interconnected
> by some sort of resistor thingies, three in all.  One between red and black,
>one between
> black and white, and one between red and white.  The green wire stands alone.
> (as does the cheese I hear)
>         Can someone tell me what these thingies do?  How would I connect these
> four wires to a standard three prong 220 plug, such as that used for my dryer
>in
> my garage?  Or do I need a four prong plug and a new outlet box ?
>
>         What have I gotten myself into ?
>
>         Help me Mr. Wizard.......
>
> Chris Prugh
> 72 Spitfar
> Morgan Hill, CA

It sounds a little strange if these wires are where the power is to be
connected and goes to the switch.  Is it possible that you have a 3 phase
motor?

 You should see a 3 and a zero with a shash bar through it on the info
plate if it is.  There may just be a line saying phase and a 3
stamped in it. These are standard colors for a 3 phase circuit and the
green would be ground.  How big of a motor (HP) is it.

Joe Worsley