Re: Spitfire Rear Suspension - Scary Question

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Rear Suspension - Scary Question
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:41:23 -0800
David Moag wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 77 Spitfire, and although I'm quite new at this, I understand
> enough to know the following is dangerous territory. The back end of my car
> needs work. Not only does it lean too far to the driver's side, but both
> wheels are tilted too far (I don't have a way to measure, but certainly
> looks to be at least 10-15 degrees). So, I've decided to bite the bullet
> and get a new rear leaf spring. Now the scary part --- any recommendations
> on what else I should do "WHILE I'M IN THERE"?
>
> Dave Moag
> 77 Spitfire

Dave,
WHile you are there Here's a list of things to check:

1. Check the differential seals and bearings.  Easier to change them
now.
2. Check the axle shaft U-joints and axle bearings for play and wear.
3. Inspect the brake lines for wear (especially the rubber ones)
4. Check the shocks for excess play and lack of proper damping.
5. Inspect the drive shaft u-joints for play.
6. Check the brake shoes and drums for wear.
7. Inspect the Hand Brake cable for wear and excess slack.

Have I missed anything?  Anybody?

Have fun.  I'll be doing something similar this winter myself.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit