Re: No Hangups (Exhaust)

To: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Subject: Re: No Hangups (Exhaust)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:43:06 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Mason wrote:

> The PO had a Monza system screwed to the bottom of various and asundry
> things.  I just ordered a stainless, sport system from MOSS that came
> with a diagram that tells me nothing.

The TR6 stock-style exhaust system hangs in three places.
If you have the TRF TR6 Catalog, you'll find excellent pictures
and textual descriptions on plates BZ and CA (pg 134-137 of
Volume 1):

  1)  the front intermediate pipes hang from the general area
      of the gearbox.  The specific mounting bracket and placement
      depends upon single/double exhausts, and also upon early/late
      (split at CF1) later double exhausts, and, for the post-CF1
      cars, whether or not there is overdrive.
  2)  the right front side of the muffler (where the intermediate
      pipes enter it) hangs from a bracket on the chassis frame.
  3)  the left rear side of the muffler (where the tailpipes
      exit it) hangs from a bracket on the chassis frame.

The hangers at these points were not just simple "loop brackets"
as is typically used in aftermarket systems.  Some are L-shaped,
some have long bolts that descend around the pipes, and some
have unusual brackets.  That said, if you don't care about
originality, you can make do by using generic hangers from your
local discount auto parts store.

Personally, I would suggest ordering the "exhaust hanging kit
from The Roadster Factory.  This had everything needed to install
the exhaust, and worked exactly as advertised.  In combination
with the TRF TR6 Spare Parts Catalogue, it was completely clear
how to install it.  The TRF Spare Parts Catalogue covers the
different early/late OD/non-OD possibilities for the front
intermediate pipe hanger.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

PS:  You won't be able to figure this out from looking at
how the Monza system is hung.  The Monza system on my '74
is hung at all kinds of wierd places, and doesn't use any
of the stock mounting points.  For the stock system, there
is a nice bracket on the frame for each of the rear mounting
points, and the front pipe hanger hooks either to the gearbox
mount, or to a stud on the overdrive unit.

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |