Re:MK I mech. tach.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:MK I mech. tach.
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:58:27 GMT
Lew writes:

>My mech. tach. quit on my 63 spit. If i disconnect the cable at the tach
>then start the engine the cable will turn, but as soon as i place any
>resistance on the cable (just holding it with my fingers) it will stop.

Did you check you see if the engine was still running?
Sptfire engines don't take kindly to severe loading, you understand.
 :-)

>Is this a problem in the dist.? Is the gear that turns the cable
>plastic? I have an extra distributor so i can swap them out if this is
>the case.

I've had mine apart but I forget the gear materials.  You can take
yours apart for inspection by prying out the metal plug in the side of
the distributor.  My was easier...it fell out.  The driven gear can be
removed through this hole and you can see what going on in there.
Don't lose the spacing washer.

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits