Re: Basic Positive Ground Question

To: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Basic Positive Ground Question
From: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:13:16 -0800
Jerry McDonald wrote:

> I'm taking a class on electrical troubleshooting for work. The
> instructor
> asks which direction does electricity flow pos to neg or neg to pos?
> In my
> ignorance I pipe up with "both". I say I believe both due to the fact
> my
> TR4 has positive ground and other cars have negative ground. Therefore
>
> electricity must flow in either direction. My instructor is taken off
> guard
> by this, and throws out a "top of his head" explanation. If I
> understood
> correctly he surmised that in fact the current flowed backwards and
> essentially the whole car was "live". I'm not buying it. What is the
> real
> nature of a positive ground system?

       Jerry,
Your instructors question is a win-win deal for you. Most of the
"civilian" community are tought that current flows from positive to
negative....however.....the military teaches negative to positive. The
differences are hole flow theory (civilians) and electron flow theory
(military). IMHO the military are on the right track.
AT1 (AW) McKillop, Lewis
United States Navy
(not that i'm biased or anything)