Re: U-joint lubrication

To: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: U-joint lubrication
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:27:46 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:

> Learned Listers,
>
> As I get my Spitfire closer to being roadworthy, I was wondering about the
> universal joints.  The car was sitting in the PO's lawn for seven years,
> and while all the u-joints SEEM ok now, I'm sure they could benefit from
> some lubrication.
>
> Is there any way to do this short of removing them?   I know some
> universals had grease fittings on them, but these don't.
>
> All advise gratefully considered.
>
> Atwell (Buff) Haines
> '79 Spitfire FM 96062
>
> Succasunna, NJ USA
> CarBuff@scooter.net

Atwell,
If you are in a position to do so, I would suggest removal of all 4
U-Joints.  If they have set up several years, it's a good bet that they
are at least dried up.  If that is the case, They may feel ok when you
rotate them, but they won't last long.

Consider replacing all of them, since they are not that costly and as
long as you have them out anyway, You'd likely be better off.

I found that all 4 on my Spit were not only dried up, but also rusted on
the inside where they could not be seen.  Don't buy them from Victoria
British.  Go down to your local "cheapie auto parts store" They are very
much cheaper and readily available.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit

IF you do just lubricate them, you must remove the cups and take wheel
bearing grease on your finger and force it into the needles around the
cup.  After that you must replace the cup taking care not to let any
needles become dislodged from the outer perimeter of the cup.
(Again, it is easier and more lasting to simply replace them)