TR6 gearbox bench checkout- please help!

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 gearbox bench checkout- please help!
From: Peter J Barrance <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 12:50:39 -0500 (EST)
Dear all,

Over the weekend I took a close look at the gearbox I purchased which
came with the A-type overdrive - am aiming to swap it into my '71 TR6.

There was quite a lot of chewed metal/sludge around the O/D oil strainer.
I thought initially it was from a problem in the OD. Having taken that
all apart that all looks good (the good news!).

I took a close look at the gearbox itself last evening. I think the
problems are more in there.

Have 2 specific questions which I hope may help me decide a course of action:

1.      The Moss catalog says to check '2nd gear play' - if more than
0.020" then the thrust washer in there is probably broken. Well, the
2nd/3rd gears do go back and forth on the mainshaft a fair amount,
definitely more than 0.02. Can anybody tell me more precisely how to
check this out? - (it is the endfloat of the gears w.r.t. the shaft?)

2.      Although most of the gears look generally OK, the front of the
teeth on the main layshaft gear have small chunks out of them. The Moss
catalog mentions that 'silver pieces and sludge mean the layshaft and gear are
destroyed'. Any input/more info anyone?

While of course I don't relish the thought of spending a lot more on a
recon. box, if the writing is on the wall I might as well bite the bullet now
rather than later... On the other hand, if people can convince me it's
nothing to worry about, I could give it a try for a while. (OK - I'm in
denial...)

Are there any other good checks? I did read Bob Lang's g/b rebuild
articles but he talks more about checking things out when it's dismantled.

I don't think I'm going to try to rebuild it myself by the way.

Thanks a lot for any help as always,

Pete