Re: fuel filters

To: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Subject: Re: fuel filters
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:44:02 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Michael Burdick wrote:

> Edward Hutchinson wrote:
>
> > Forgive me my ignorance but I was wondering how effective a magnet would be
> > if it were taped to the outside of the fuel filter. I thought I heard
> > someone say that the Wix oil filter is magnatized and therefore traps metal
> > particles. Would this work with the fuel filter?
>
> To which Joe Curry responded:
>
> > Sounds reasonable to me.
> > I don't know of any reason the magnet wouldn't work on a fuel filter as
> > well.
>
> This begs the question:  Why the worry about metal particles in the fuel?
>
> Mike Burdick
> Omaha NE

Mike,
The original question was regarding rusty fuel lines letting rust
particles go into the carbs.  I has a similar problem, but it was my
tank, not the lines which were passing the rust flakes.  I replaced the
tank and put three filters in-line and my troubles are resolved.

Regarding the question about the fuel flow, I suppose if the filter
restricts flow, one could always go to an electric fuel pump (I have)
and your problem would then be too much pressure (solved by a pressure
reducer in-line).

Joe Curry   '63 Spit