Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Corvettes [was: your mail]
From: Chip Mautz <cmautz@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:10:08 -0500
At 11:30 AM 11/19/97 PST, you wrote:
>Richard Jackson wrote:
>       > [snip]....to understand the American's, just look at the Corvette.
>

>And look at the other "plastic" American sports-GTs; the Viper GTS
>and Carrol Shelbys Series 1.  Who could deny them?  The Viper is
>certainly in the Ferrari and Aston-Martin DB7 league.

The new Corvette's body is no longer fiberglass, right?  Isn't it aluminum
now?

>But I still prefer the DeTomaso Pantera!

Those can be had at a steal these days.  17-20k for a world class performer
(and overheater - you think a triumph overheats!)

Another cool car made here in America is the Panoz AIV Roadster.  Limited
production right now, but soon to be available at your local Ford dealer
(if they're lucky).  2 seat roadster - they use aluminum for their frame!
They're the only ones in the world doing it, and it's amazing!

I saw a car that got hit by a Chevy Lumina (3500-4000 lbs) and it wasn't
totalled, and the driver wasn't hurt.  This was an off-center front
accident - not a headon (off-center hits do more damage to the car,
passengers, etc.).  The motor still ran in the thing.

Oh yeah - the motor comes from Ford - their new 4.6 32 valve V8 SVT Cobra
engine - good for 305 hp, all emissions, servicable at Ford Dealers.  Most
of the pieces come from different existing vehicles - Ford's, Mazda's, etc.

See it at http://www.panozauto.com.  I'm not a salesman, just fortunate to
take one for a spin last Saturday!  0-60 in 4-4.4 seconds, 1600 lbs, 305hp
V8, 5 spd ZF, etc. - what a blast!

Chip
(65hp Spitfire - on a good day!)

Chip Mautz
Greenbrier & Russel
Atlanta, Ga

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"